Are you contemplating new home construction, an addition, kitchen remodel or bathroom remodel?
• Did you know that building your own home is possibly one of the best tax-advantaged wealth building vehicles available to most of us today?
• Want to save 25 – 35% without do it yourself labor? Possibly tax free?
• Tired of being in debt up to your eyeballs for years just to own or update your home?
• Would you like more control over the building design and details of your new home?
• Already have a home and just need information on replacement windows?
• Do you know the legal implications of being your own builder (and the important role of the mechanics lien)?
• Want the lowdown on prefabricated homes?
• Do you know mortgage brokers have construction loans available that recognize the home equity you create by building your own home?
If any of this interests you, read on….
This is an informational site focusing on the house design, project management, cost/benefit, and legal and financial considerations necessary for a successful, high quality and money saving home construction project.
Who this site is for
This site is for people who are or will be in the market for a new home or remodeling contractor and would like to explore doing it themselves.
This site is also for those who would rather negotiate with custom home builders or general contractors but want a better behind-the-scenes understanding of the home construction process, a little more leverage and a better sense of control.
Who can do this
For most, being your own builder is very doable. No tools required, at least not in the do it yourself sense. It’s a lot of work of course, but eminently doable. Terrifically rewarding too. The sense of accomplishment and financial gain just can’t be overestimated.
Two simple beliefs are central to this site:
• Learning how to build a house is well within the reach of most people with a reasonable ability to plan, organize and supervise. It all boils down to project management.
• Project management is where the money is. Far more so than with do it yourself labor, in my opinion. Way more practical too. Your home builder is in essence a project manager. I believe most folks can perform project management far more readily than they can assume the role of all the skilled tradesmen who supply the labor.
That is why this site is called Alternative Home Construction. It is:
• An alternative to the typical approach to home ownership that is loaded with costs unrelated to direct land, labor and materials.
• An alternative to unnecessarily high mortgage payments and interest expense.
• An alternative, faster and smarter way to build your net worth.
This site does not show you how to be a plumber, an electrician, or how to be a roofer and install shingles. Rather, we discuss how to properly hire those trades and manage a project.
I hope you find the information here useful, and look forward to hearing from you if you’re so inclined.
You’re only a click or two away from most of the topics here. Enjoy the site and happy reading!